Dogs are wonderful; there is no doubt about that. And while many dogs lack an aggressive temperament, they are animals regardless and they can have their moments. This fact is illustrated by statistics from Center for Disease Control and Prevention, which estimates that more than 4.7 million people in the United States are bitten by dogs each year.
Furthermore, coverage for injuries inflicted by dogs is typically not included on homeowners or renters insurance policies – leaving pet owners to shoulder the burden of expenses. And they are not cheap. The average cost of a dog claim is about $25,000. This is the main reason why obtaining dog bite insurance is so important if you own a dog.
What It Covers
A good policy offers broad coverage for a variety of areas that could cause issues should your dog injure someone. When shopping around, make sure the following is covered:
• Medical bills that result from injuries your dog inflicts on a person or another animal
• Loss of wages incurred by the injured party as a direct result of the incident
• Attorney fees in the event the case goes to court
• Damage to other people’s property caused by your dog
• The policy should cover your dog regardless of whether you are at home or elsewhere.
You can stop worrying about what may happen and focus on enjoying your dog’s companionship. All it takes is a good dog bite insurance policy.